Monday, August 8, 2011

Calling Andy Griffith!

Even in a small town, crime happens.  It's important that we don't let down our guards too much. After a lifetime of diligently locking my car doors everywhere I went, I stopped doing so in Mayberry.  It just felt like a vote of no-confidence in my beloved quiet little village.  Against my instincts well formed by my policeman father, I deliberately do not lock my car doors when I shop downtown.

But then I saw the police blotter in this week's issue of the Mayberry Gazette:  Loose Change Stolen From Unlocked Vehicles.

Loose change??  As in... quarters and dimes?  I'm not sure which is more perplexing... that someone stole loose change or that it made the newspaper?  I know that if it had been my unlocked car that had been rifled through, I'd feel violated regardless of what was taken.  It happened to us many years ago.  But I just can't help finding it almost funny that it wasn't CDs, cell phones, sunglasses or shot guns that were stolen but loose change.  I bet the criminal used it to buy some Big League Chew and a Mountain Dew afterwards.

Also in the police blotter... the report of a lost goat.  "The goat stands two feet tall and responds to the name Millie.".   

The police reports sure are different here than in Detroit.

No comments:

Post a Comment