Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Funny Money

I just saved 75% at CVS.  I know that's correct because I asked Pete to check my math.  I bought about $90 worth of goods and only spent about $20 OOP (out of pocket).  That is such a fun way to shop!  Here's how I did it.  I put all of my items in my cart but paid for them in two separate transactions.  That was key to keeping my out of pocket expenses as low as possible.

First of all, I arrived at the CVS with $5 in ExtraBucks from last week's trip.  ExtraBucks (aka Extra Care Bucks) are $$ back that CVS gives on some items.  Their ad will tell you which items give EBs.  For instance, last week I bought an Oral-B Pulsar Toothbrush and received $3 EB and I bought some bottled water and received $2 EB.  These print out on the bottom of your receipt.  You cut them off and use them just like cash money on your next transaction.

I also made good use of manufacturer's coupons, including five that I bought on eBay.  Excuse me, five coupons that were free after I paid the eBay lady for her time to locate and clip the coupons.  The selling of coupons themselves is illegal.

This was my first transaction  (Prices shown are CVS's usual retail price):


  • Two boxes of Raisin Bran.  On sale for $2.50 eachCoupon for $1.00 off of twoOOP=$4.00Earned $1 EB.
  • Two Garnier shampoos, One Garnier conditioner.  On sale for 3/$10.00.  Used three coupons for $1.00 off of one.  OOP=$7Earned $10 credit towards Buy $15 of Garnier, Get $5 in EB.
  • One Garnier cleanser.  On sale for $5Used $1.00 manufacturer's coupon AND a $1.00 CVS coupon.  OOP=$3Earned the final $5 credit towards the Buy $15 of Garnier, Get $5 in EB, so I received $5 EB.
  • Five Lumene eye creams.  $4.20 eachUsed five $4 off of one couponsOOP=$1.00Earned $20 towards the Buy $20 worth of Lumene, Get $5 EB, so I received $5 EB.
  • One Balance Bar.  $1.70 eachOOP=$1.70Earned $1.70 in EB.
  • One Razor.  On sale for $6.99Coupon for $3 offOOP=$4Earned $3 EB.
If you add up the red OOP costs, you'll see that my receipt total was $20.70.  I handed over my Extra Care Bucks from last week that were worth $5.00.  So the total that went on my Visa was $15.70.  I also received $15.70 in ExtraBucks to use towards my next transaction.

Here comes transaction #2.  None of these items earned EBs but I did use some manufacturer's coupons:

  • Maxwell House coffee.  $2.88 eachOOP=$2.88.
  • Two Soft Scrub Total Cleanser.  On sale for $2.99 eachUsed coupon for Buy One, Get One FreeOOP=$2.99.
  • Two Soft Scrub with Bleach.  On sale for $2.99 eachUsed coupon for Buy One, Get One FreeOOP=$2.99.
  • Two Lysol Wipes.  On sale for 2 for $5.00Used one $1.00 off of two couponOOP=$4.00.
  • Always Infinity.  On sale for $6.99Used $1.00 off couponOOP=$5.99.
  • Skintimate Shaving Cream.  On sale for $1.99Used .55cent couponOOP=$1.44.
This is where the magic happens.  My out of pocket expense was about $20.  (I haven't shown the cost of taxes.  Or Harold's lollipop I bought because he was such a good shopper.)  I handed over the $15.70 in ExtraBucks coupons I had from my previous transaction.  So I only put about $4 on my credit card.

All told I spent a little over $20 for more than $90 worth of goods.  If you look at the photos you'll see that the five eye creams add up to $20.  So essentially I got everything else for FREE!  It's all about CVS, baby.  Those ExtraBucks combined with coupons are awesome-sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment