Saturday, July 23, 2011

Summer Wedding

Not Actual Gazebo
To the Bride and Groom who just got married in the gazebo in the park in front of our house,

I've enjoyed watching your wedding.  You can't see the nosy neighbor who loves weddings... I'm sure of that because I've checked.  The glare off of the windows makes it impossible to see in.  There have been several lovely weddings in the gazebo since we moved here.  You are welcome that we put off mowing our lawn in your honor.

All of my life, whenever I've seen a bride start down the aisle... even if I don't know her... my heart soars and my eyes well up with tears.  You represent so much promise.  So much hope.  Every good thing lies before you.  I wish you both a long lifetime full of joy and determined commitment.  Not "happiness", though that's nice.  But as you step out into the unknowable future together I can be certain of one thing.  The hard times will come.  They always do.  Those couples who celebrate their 50th anniversary didn't get there because they were lucky.  They got there because they knew something that our world has forgotten... no matter how bleak things may seem, if you hang in there, it can get better.

But you might already know that.  Towards the end of your wedding you did something that I didn't understand.  You each took a hammer and pounded nails into something.  I've never seen that before, so I did a Google search.  I'm not sure if this is what you did, but I think it's a beautiful idea:

A Modern Twist on the Unity Candle Ceremony

"Bring a solid wooden box and place a bottle of wine and two glasses inside. The bride and groom are asked to write letters to one another prior to the ceremony. When the unity time comes they will place these letters inside the wooden box. The bride and groom or the entire wedding party are given a nail and hammer and they are asked to seal the box shut.

The officiant explains to the guests that should the couple fall into hard times and before they make a rash decision, they are to open the box, drink the wine and read their letters to each other.

If the couple never has any issues (VillageJen - Ha! ) they can open it on a special anniversary and read the letters then."

Congratulations to you both.  The bride was absolutely beautiful today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment