Saturday, July 2, 2011

Mourning in Mayberry


Our town has lost another dear child.  This was a sixteen year old young man and member of our parish.  I got to know him a little bit when I taught catechism and he was a student in another grade.  After observing him interact with our Director I told her, "I really like this boy."  She did, too.  He was so polite and energetic.  I'm glad that a few months ago I had the chance to tell his mother how much I liked her son.

The real strengths of a small town are most evident when something bad happens.  Word gets around immediately and people flock to help.  I'm coordinating meals for the family and I made up a flier for the school supervisor to hand out.  When I asked the print shop owner for fifty copies he made seventy-five and wouldn't let me pay for them.

There's a sign on the way into town expressing support and prayers for the family.  The funeral Mass  undoubtedly will be heavily attended.  Like everyone, I'm grief stricken for these parents and their surviving son.  I still haven't processed the tragic loss of another child a few months ago.  Now, just like then, I struggle with anger.  I'm not angry at God or at any person.  It's frustrating not to know to whom or at what to direct my anger.  I'm just so dang mad that any mother has to bury her child.  It's wrong.  It's unnatural.  Death was not a part of God's plan for us.  Thank you, Jesus, that we do not grieve as those without faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment